Bienvenido, Únete al foro? Registro  
Three little horses

Decided to make 3 horse hair brushes as a small project.

The handles:

A fellow member of the Dutch "Shaving Society" produced 3 handles on the lathe.
Put 2 layers of laquer ("Glitsa parketlak PT", matte finish) on it and glued
a little abalone disc at the bottom (see last picture)

Here are the handles:

This image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themloading="lazy" alt="[Imagen: L5o1YnY.jpg]" class="mycode_img" />

From left to right:
Pink ivory (Berchemia zeyheri)
Common apple (Malus domestica)
Black walnut (Juglans nigra)

The knots:

It is almost impossible to find good separate horse hair knots.
Vie-Long makes fine horse hair brushes, but does not sell separate knots (yet ?).
So I bought 3 brushes - Vie-Long 12705B.
This brush has a bulb shaped knot, 50% mane - 50% tail.
Removed the handles from their knots.

This image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themloading="lazy" alt="[Imagen: S936gjr.jpg]" class="mycode_img" />

Here is the start ...

And then, using my Dremel tool:

This image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themloading="lazy" alt="[Imagen: 73WkMhn.jpg]" class="mycode_img" />
This image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themloading="lazy" alt="[Imagen: rmTBYYH.jpg]" class="mycode_img" />

The 3 knots:

This image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themloading="lazy" alt="[Imagen: 64RQndc.jpg]" class="mycode_img" />

And here together with the handles:

This image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themloading="lazy" alt="[Imagen: UwT5WHK.jpg]" class="mycode_img" />

Then the knots are glued into the handles using 2-component epoxy.
A rubber band and a few tiewraps keep the knot in place during curing of the epoxy:

This image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themloading="lazy" alt="[Imagen: eIqzbFQ.jpg]" class="mycode_img" />

The pink ivory brush.

This image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themloading="lazy" alt="[Imagen: l52dVb8.jpg]" class="mycode_img" />

And the common apple and black walnut brushes.

After curing the rubber bands and tiewraps are removed, followed by a test lather and drying.
This is the result:

This image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themloading="lazy" alt="[Imagen: o5TdwpT.jpg]" class="mycode_img" />

Dimensions:
Knot diameter at base (all 3): 23 mm
Loft (from left to right): 49 mm, 52 mm, 50 mm

And a picture at the bottom:

This image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themloading="lazy" alt="[Imagen: 96Yw4rA.jpg]" class="mycode_img" />
Met vriendelijk groet,
Jan Zoethout
---- Carpe Diem ----
Responder

Those are three amazing brushes !!!
Congratulations :thumbsup:
Responder

Quotes in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to see the quotes
Thank you ... :bow:
Met vriendelijk groet,
Jan Zoethout
---- Carpe Diem ----
Responder

Buen trabajo.
Una pregunta ¿los nudos no salí­an de otra manera? Normalmente con calor húmedo suelen salir.
"Nosotros no somos utopistas".
Responder

👏👏👏👏👏

Afeí­tame despacio que tengo prisa.

Quotes in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to see the quotes
Dear turner40: my Spanish is not as it should be :winky: ...
What exactly do you mean ? In English (or Dutch :cejasThis image is blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock itLinks in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock themalt="Smile" title="Smile" class="smilie smilie_1" /> if possible, please ...
Met vriendelijk groet,
Jan Zoethout
---- Carpe Diem ----
Responder

Great work.
Responder

Good work!!!!
Bus perhaps is easier like this;
Links in this message are blocked to guests. Please Login or Register to unblock them
Responder

Nice brushes! Congratulatios!
We use a diferent system to remove the knots from the handle.It´s very easy,you have to heat three fingers of water in a pot till it boils,then put the brush in another dry bowl and put it inside the hot water.Close the pot and leave the brush there for 15-30 minutes.The steam will make soften the glue and you could remove the knot easily.
If you have any question it will be a pleasure to help you.:thumbsup:
Responder

Very nice handles, i guess that you have a torn to make them, the way that the others colleagues comments to take out the old knots is very fast and clean, I recommend you becaus you'll have extra handles... You never know if you'll neede them :thumbsup:

Kind regards,
Responder

Now I understand turner40's comment ... :cejas:
And no, I don't want to do the "steam method" - because it might harm
the knot.
If I wanted to save the handle, the "steam method" is OK.
Met vriendelijk groet,
Jan Zoethout
---- Carpe Diem ----
Responder

Posibles temas similares...
  Three Shavemac Knots Started by Redrock
6 Replies - 1,060 Views
14-04-2019, 21:36
Último mensaje: juanps

Usuarios navegando en este tema:
1 invitado(s)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB